Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Energy
Solar energy is a renewable and a never energy resource. There are many advantages of harnessing solar energy. However, there are two sides to everything, and there is a list of disadvantages to accompany the list of advantages. Advantages
- Solar energy is a completely renewable resource which means that even when we cannot make use of the sun’s power because of night time or cloudy and stormy days, we can always rely on the sun showing up the very next day as a constant and consistent power source.
- Initial cost of solar panels and solar lighting may seem quite but in the long run it saves quite a great deal of money. It does not cost anything to harness the power of the sun. Harnessing sun’s energy is absolutely free.
- Solar energy creates absolutely no pollution. Solar cells are totally silent and non-polluting.
- Very little maintenance is required to keep solar cells running. There are no moving parts in a solar cell so, they require little or no maintenance at all, and have a long lifetime.
- Solar powered panels and products are typically extremely easy to install. Wires, cords and power sources are not needed at all, making this an easy prospect to employ.
- Installation of solar panels is expensive. Initial investment is high.
- Solar energy cannot be harnessed during a storm, on a cloudy day or at night. Some days you may still need to rely on other sources of energy.
- Most of the solar devices occupy large space to achieve average efficiency.
- The efficiency of solar panels is low comparative to other sources of energy. To achieve equivalent output large equipment is required.
- Geographical location and climate of a place can be a source of disadvantage of solar energy. The efficiency of the solar panels is dependent upon the amount of sunlight received.
- Air pollution and weather can also have a large effect on the efficiency of the cells.
- Do not get same efficiency on all the days and during every season as the intensity of sun’s light changes with season