Most people think of school starting at kindergarten. But should your child be in school earlier than that? What are the benefits of sending your child to preschool? How can you tell if your child is ready for preschool?
There are two main benefits of sending your child to preschool.
- Socialization with peers. Preschool offers your child the chance socialize and spend time with his or her peers. This gives your child the chance to interact with children of his or her own age in an academic setting. Your child will be able to experience and learn simple social rules like listening, waiting, taking turns and so on.
- Early education. Preschool also offers your child the chance to learn basic, important building blocks of education. These can include oral language, words, phonics, basic math concepts and so much more. Learning these things, in an environment with other children of the same age, helps immensely when preparing your child for kindergarten and further learning.
But how can you tell if your child is ready for preschool? There are same basic skills your child should exhibit before you decide to enroll them in a preschool program.
- Independent. Although your child will be socializing with others and spending time with teachers he or she should still be fairly independent. This means he or she should probably be potty-trained and able to perform other tasks like hand washing, eating and taking naps independently.
- Time away from you. Has your child spent some time away from you and is he or she comfortable doing so? If your child hasn’t spent much time with babysitters or other adult family members, you may want to schedule some time for this. If you do this, your child will transition into attending preschool much easier.
- Working alone. Once again, although socialization is a large part of preschool, children are also expected to work on their own for significant amounts of time. These activities can include coloring, arts and crafts, and more. You should be confident that your child will be able to work on projects of this type without an extensive amount of assistance.
SchoolTutoring Academy is the premier educational services company for K-12 and college students. We offer tutoring programs for students in K-12, AP classes, and college. To learn more about how we help parents and students in Auburn, NY visit: Tutoring in Auburn, NY